BNW Chapter 3

Chapter three starts out with the Director who takes a student to a garden where naked children are playing sexual games because they were taught that it was just child's play. Immediately, I am already uncomfortable with this work. I'm intrigued at Huxleys' thought process but I'm not open to the path he chose to explain it. I'm analytical and can grasp abstract ideas, I don't need to be shocked to comprehend something that requires more thinking. As the Director is explaining, he is interrupted by a little boy hiding nearby in the bushes. He was uncomfortable with the "games" the other children were partaking in. Then we are introduced to Mustapha Mond,  resident controller for Western Europe. He's a valuable character because he has experience. Mond tells the children how the world worked before they were even thought to be conceived.  Basically, everyone became unstable in their relationships and desires which lead to disease, war and death. Families weren't families anymore. Religion had no back bone. Museums and works of art like Shakespeare disappeared into oblivion. A drug, soma, could keep a human in the mental and physical state of youth-throughout life. Now, I'm interested.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BNW Chapter 12

BNW Chapter 7

BNW Chapter 6