Hamlet & Me

Here are three things that I connected Hamlet to my real life: #1: "This was not a natural death, this was murder." When the ghost comes to Hamlet with a tip that the one "wearing the crown" was the murderer of his father, I got a better look at Hamlet's true self. I'm not saying I was approached by a ghost and had a full conversation with it and even took it's advice, but I have had dreams before where specific words were said which, after waking up, changed my whole stance/attitude/decision. Side Note: The fact that Hamlet was fully aware he was conversing with an apparition leaves me with only one question. How can you be shocked to see your uncle and mother in a relationship-disgusting, don't get me started- but not lose it when a literal ghost is standing (floating ?) RIGHT in front of you? Oh, right! The ghost was "proper and legit", nothing to be questioned here! Many scholars tend to think THIS is the moment he makes his decision to kill the king. I agree with those scholars. Weird how if the king dies, Hamlet is next in line for the throne.... Weird how all it took for Hamlet to start an internal crusade against the king was a "proper" ghost... #2 "Catch the conscience of the king." When the play comes to perform for Hamlet, I am able to connect with his savvy side. He tweaks the play and this helps him make his big decision. He realizes that murder has no tongue, so he's going to let his uncle's reaction to the play tell it all. I find this very creative and sneaky on Hamlets' side. It's a simple yet fullproof plan. #3 "...the me who is about to make a decision will come into existence." In 6th grade, I read Hamlets' "To be/Not to be" speech 2 times and still had no idea it was about suicide. I just thought,"Why is this guy talking to himself?" Now when I read it, I picture Hamlet talking to himself in his head because it's easier to express your feelings the way he does when you don't have to talk. It's easier for me to express my feelings when I'm not writing, drawing or texting, but when I'm thinking. The way he goes back and forth with his thoughts, Act 3 sounds more like his train of thought than a intimate conversation. If you listen more than talk, analyze everything, or you're just an active thinker, you'll understand me. Go to Act 3 Scene 1 and read as if he was thinking to himself rather than speaking. It will feel more genuine and humane.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BNW Chapter 12

BNW Chapter 7

BNW Chapter 6